How to Recover from Mold Exposure through Diet

Category nutrition

Is your house contaminated with mold? Do you suffer from rashes, wheezing, and recurring infections? These symptoms might indicate toxic mold exposure. Mold spores can spread in your home, causing serious health problems. It is estimated that more than half of illnesses are caused by indoor pollutants, such as mildew and mycotoxins.


Why Is Mold Exposure Dangerous?


Depending on the severity and duration of mold exposure, you may experience allergic reactions, severe cough, sneezing, asthma symptoms, breathing difficulties, skin rash, and throat infections. Mold can enter your lungs and weaken your immune system. Over time, it may cause digestive disorders, migraines, tingling and numbness, joint pain, fatigue, and static shocks.


Even if you clean up your home, it’s hard to eliminate mold completely. The spores can remain dormant for months until they find nutrients and moisture. They can begin to grow on food, clothes, furnishing, old newspapers, and wet surfaces. If you’ve been exposed to mold, consider changing your diet. Certain foods can boost immunity and reduce the harmful effects of mold on your body. Others will do the opposite, so it’s better to avoid them.


Clean Up Your Diet


The first step is to clean up your diet. Steer clear of any foods containing refined sugar and fungal protein allergens, such as:


  • Breakfast cereals
  • Bread, crackers, and pastries containing yeast
  • Whole wheat flour
  • Bran
  • Dried fruits
  • Buttermilk
  • Sour cream
  • Aged cheese
  • Cider and homemade rootbeer
  • Dark beer
  • Soy sauce
  • Meals made from leftovers, such as meatloaf
  • Deli meats
  • Smoked meats
  • Soy curd
  • Store-brought fruit juice
  • Malt extract
  • High-sugar fruits like melons, banana, and pineapple
  • Canned, bottled, and boxed foods
  • Ready-made meals
  • Mushrooms and truffles


Many of these foods are considered healthy. The problem is that they can be easily contaminated with mold. For example, commercial fruit juice may contain mold enzymes added during processing. Red wine can have mold. Grapes and white onions are prone to a type of mold known as aspergillus. Ketchup and tomato sauce are often made from moldy tomatoes. Breakfast cereals and pasta can contain binding agents that have mold.


Choose Your Foods Wisely


The best way to recover from mold exposure is to eat a well-balanced diet that include organic and farm-raised meats, pastured eggs, raw nuts and seeds, green leafy vegetables, low sugar fruit, non-fruity herbal teas, and healthy fats. Low sugar fruits, such as apples and berries, can be consumed in small amounts. The same goes for starches and legumes, such as beans, lentils, potatoes, corn, parsnips, and squashes. Breakfast cereals should be avoided, but you can eat whole grains like brown rice, certified gluten-free oats, and quinoa.


Choose foods that cleanse the body and help flush out toxins, such as ginger, garlic, green juices, and radishes. Eventually, you can go on a detox diet for three days to one week. Stick to fresh fruit and vegetable juices, green smoothies, and broth. Add basil, rosemary, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, and turmeric to your meals. These spices and herbs increase metabolism and help your body eliminate toxins.